• At what age can I obtain a learner's licence?

In Alberta, an individual must be at least 14 years of age to apply for a learner's licence with parental consent  if under 18.

  • What do you need to bring to your Class 7 Knowledge test? 
  1. Primary Identification 

    If you are born in Canada, you must provide one of the following:

    • A Canadian birth certificate
    • A valid Canadian passport
    • An aboriginal status card

    If you were born outside Canada, you must provide one of the following:

    • Valid Canadian passport
    • Canadian Permanent Resident Card
    • Canadian Work/Study permit that is Valid for more than 90 days

  2. Secondary Identification

    • Alberta Health Care card, or health care card from another province that includes a photo
    • Social Insurance Card
    • Firearms License
    • Debit/Credit card that includes first and last name on the front of the card and a signature on the back of the card

  3. Proof of residency 

    If you are under 18 and are accompanied by your parent or guardian, the registry agent can use your parent or guardian's Alberta address as proof of residency. Otherwise you must provide proof of residency in Alberta. The proof of residency must contain an Alberta address as well as your first and last name and must be dated no older than 90 days with the exception of a residential lease agreement. 

    Some examples of proof of residency are:

    • Utility Bill
    • Bank or Credit Card Statement
    • Residential Lease agreement
    • Pay stub
    • Letter of employment confirmation
    • Letter from your school
    • Mortgage or title information (You must live there)

    This is not an all-inclusive list.
    Please contact the registry location you plan on taking your knowledge test at for further details. 

  4. Parent or Guardian if you are under the age of 14 and your parent or guardian has not signed a consent form

  5. Payment for the class 7 knowledge test

  6. Payment for getting your first operator's card

  7. Corrective lenses if applicable

  • What are the differences between holding the class 5 GDL and a full class 5 licence? Specifically, what are the restrictions?

The main differences are:

  1. A lower demerit point allowance, 8 versus 15. If an individual is a careful, law-abiding driver and does not receive traffic tickets (i.e. speeding, etc.), then the demerit totals are not an issue since demerits are only deducted when you are caught breaking the law.

  2. Zero alcohol tolerance. Zero alcohol tolerance means that you cannot drive with any amount of alcohol in your blood stream, whereas a full class 5 can operate a vehicle as long as they are under the legal limit of alcohol concentration in the blood. So, if an individual never drinks and drives, the zero alcohol tolerance is also not an issue.

  3. The other restrictions are minor: You cannot be the accompanying (supervising) driver to an individual driving with a class 7 (learners) licence. You cannot upgrade to a professional class licence (drive a semi, ambulance, taxi or large three-axel vehicle). If you drive only regular passenger vehicles (two axels), such as a car, truck, minivan, SUV, etc., then this is also not an issue for you.
  • If I have a 5GDL licence, am I restricted from driving at certain times or not allowed to carry passengers?

No, there is no time of day restriction or passenger restrictions. The learner licence (class 7) is subject to the time of day restriction (no driving between midnight and 5 AM) - but not the 5GDL. You may also carry as many passengers as you have seat belts. If your car has 4 seat belts, you can have a total of 4 people in the vehicle. If it has 5, then you may have 5, and so on.

  • I just moved to Alberta from another province. Can I continue to use my  driver’s licence and registration?

Only for 90 days. From the day you move to Alberta, you have 90 days to exchange your licence for an Alberta one and to register your non-commercial vehicle in this province.

  • I live in another province but I work in Alberta. Do I have to get an Alberta driver’s licence and registration?

No. If your residence is not in Alberta, you can continue to use your valid licence from your home jurisdiction. Provided you have valid insurance and your vehicle is not a commercial vehicle, you may also continue to use your home jurisdiction vehicle registration and insurance for up to 183 days. If your vehicle remains in Alberta past the 183 days, you must register your vehicle with Alberta plates.

  • I don’t live in Alberta, but I spend a lot of time here. Am I eligible for an Alberta driver’s licence?

No. Alberta licences can only be issued to residents of Alberta. A resident of Alberta is a person who is lawfully entitled to be in Canada and who makes their home in, and is ordinarily present in, Alberta. Registry agents require proof of residency before they will issue a driver’s licence.

  • Which countries have Reciprocal Licensing Agreements with Alberta?

Alberta has Reciprocal Licensing Agreements with the following countries in addition to all Canadian jurisdictions and territories:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • England
  • France
  • Germany
  • Isle of Man
  • Japan
  • Northern Ireland NEW
  • Republic of Korea
  • Scotland
  • Switzerland
  • United States
  • Wales

A valid licence from a country that has a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with Alberta can be exchanged for a Class 5 licence when the applicant presents a valid licence of equivalent class.


A person coming to Alberta from outside Canada may apply to have their previous driving history credited to their Alberta driving record. A successful application will grant exemption from the Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) program and allow for Class 5 road testing without being required to hold a Class 7 driver's licence for one year. The GDL program improves road safety by extending the learning stage for new drivers, regardless of age. New drivers gain more experience and improve their skills under low-risk conditions before graduating to more demanding driving conditions. To become fully licensed, new drivers must show responsible driving behaviors, smooth vehicle handling skills and pass an advanced road test.